Waste label liners collected by UPM Raflatac for use in insulation production | Article

UPM Raflatac has announced that waste PET plastic liners collected through its recycling service will be processed into raw material by Inosence Polyol and used by Finnfoam to produce insulation.

UPM Raflatac’s RafCycle recycling service collects waste such as used PET label liners from its customers and end users. The company claims that approximately 80% of backing materials for self-adhesive labels are paper with an established recycling process, but the remaining 20% ​​are PET-based with an extremely thin layer of silicone applied to the plastic, which can make them difficult to separate. and recycle, causing them to be incinerated instead.

In a new value chain collaboration, waste PET-based label liners collected by UPM Raflatac will be transformed into raw material through a process developed by Inosence Polyol. Finnfoam will then use the raw material for its polyisocyanurate or FF-PIR insulation.

Juha Virmavirta, Director of RafCycle Solutions at UPM Raflatac, comments: “Disposable or short-lived products are often made from recycled PET plastic. In our solution, the recycled raw material is transformed into insulation, for example a sustainable product that binds carbon for decades.

“Our value chain even meets critical scrutiny, and on top of that, we’re making the label industry much more sustainable.”

Henri Nieminen, CEO of Finnfoam, adds: “The solution we have developed with UPM Raflatac and Inosence Polyol Oy is an excellent example of the potential of chemical recycling. It makes it possible to separate and recycle many materials that are difficult to separate.

“New economic and environmentally friendly recycling methods will also drive legislative changes and further increase the obligation to recycle and reduce waste incineration, which is of course a very good thing.”

UPM Raflatac offers a range of linerless direct thermal labels, which was certified CarbonNeutral by Natural Capital Partners earlier this year.